The King's Rest in "Hampton Court Village"
68 Bridge Road
Surrey, KT8 OSU
In the heart of Hampton Court Village almost opposite The King’s Rest is Jubilee Fountain - the granite drinking fountain was erected in 1887 for the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria. Newer inscriptions on the fountain commemorate the Golden (2002) and Diamond (2012) Jubilees of Queen Elizabeth II. The fountain was moved from the road to the pavement in the 1990’s when the road layout was altered. The Court Cinema can be seen in the 1936 photograph and the Hampton Court Railway Station is visible in the distance. Built in 1849 it enabled commuters to travel quickly to London and was probably the most significant development for the growth of 19th century Molesey and the village of Hampton Court.
The King's Rest
68 Bridge Road was likely built in the late 19th century. Until the 1970's, it was used by firms of auctioneers and accountants then latterly by Champion Travel Ltd. In 2008 planning permission was granted for the partial demolition of the building and for the erection of a three-storey dwelling containing a commercial unit on the ground floor and two apartments on the floors above. The “grey” ground level fascia is locally listed as having historic and architectural interest and was retained. In 2018 the ground floor (then) retail unit was converted into a one bedroomed apartment and the whole building became "The King’s Rest" apartments welcoming visitors from all over the world.